Print

M. R. Calin, M. A. Calin, Evaluation of the Radon concentration in Ocna Dej salt mine, Romania, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 286 (2010) 169-173.

Title: Evaluation of the Radon concentration in Ocna Dej salt mine

Abstract: Measurement of radon is of interest both for the health risk assessment and development of radon therapy in enclosed spaces like as caves, mines and spas. In Romania, radon therapy is not in use, yet. The development of this treatment method in mines from our country involves primarily, the evaluation of radon levels in the salt mines. In this paper, the results of radon gas measurement that were performed at Ocna Dej salt mine (Romania) are presented. The radon measurements were performed using two systems: radon monitor Pylon AB-5 system and CIS-P5M system. The average radon concentration was found to be between 9.14 ± 5.10 Bq/m3 and 31.70 ± 2.76 Bq/m3. These radon levels are lower in comparison to those reported for mines, caves or spas in other countries where radon therapy and speleotherapy is frequently in use. Radon concentration and environmental conditions from Ocna Dej salt mine are suitable for therapeutic applications.

Key words: radon, concentration, salt mine, therapy

Thursday the 28th. Copyright © INOE 2012
Implemented by networks