Print

I. S. Bocsan, M. I. Brumboiu, M. Vlad, C. Roman, M. Ponta, I. Brie, Relationship between environmental chronic exposure to heavy metals and carcinogenic risks in non-occupationally exposed population, Epidemiology, 18/ (2007) S147-S148

Title: Relationship between environmental chronic exposure to heavy metals and carcinogenic risks in non-occupationally exposed population

Abstract: There are many relevant studies on potential carcinogenic role some heavy metals could play, particularly in occupationally exposed people. The role of chronic exposure to heavy metals in non-occupationally exposed population is less known. Our objective is to explore the potential carcinogenic risk of cancer in non-occupationally, environmentally exposed population to heavy metals. Materials and Methods: We started a 3-year study on this topic, in 2 counties in Northwestern Romania, randomly selecting representative samples of exposed and nonexposed subjects from general population. The level of heavy metals in that environment is studied cross-sectionally (in soil, air, drinking water, current food). Biological, toxicological, and genetic tests are performed in human subjects too. Lab tests are correlated with morbidity and mortality profiles. Results: The results are compared with historical results of similar studies performed during the last 30 years by same laboratories. Biological tests are performed to establish the environmental exposure to heavy metals and its impact on peoples' health. The results of genetic tests will be correlated with environmental and biological tests in the final stage of this research project (called RISCANMET, www.riscanmet.umfcluj.ro) in 2008. All tests will be finally correlated with the health status of populations of the 2 regions. Conclusions: Preliminary results show significant differences of non-occupational exposure to heavy metals of environmental origin in the 2 selected areas.

Key words: heavy metals, chronic exposure, risk of cancer

Thursday the 28th. Copyright © INOE 2012
Implemented by networks